Time Until It's All Over:

Saturday, March 24, 2012

News Article

So Holly, Ms. Deyoung and I got interviewed for The News yesterday. I had no idea I was going to be interviewed, utill Ms. Deyoung told me to go down to Mr. Green's office. What was an even bigger surprise to me, however, was opening up the paper this morning to discover that the article was dead wrong on a number of points: 
“I was bored with my academics,” he said. “I didn’t pay much attention in Pre-IB, but Mrs. Hanley made me put my best effort into my papers and really made me work. This is when my involvement really changed.” 
Despite what those quotation marks may imply, these are not the words I used - what on earth does "this is when my involvement really changed" even mean? 

But Wigginton said... the program has helped his social skills
This is an outright fabrication. Unlike the above 'quote', I never even said anything to that effect. The paragraph even goes on to say that I'm involved in "leading the health team"  What on earth is a health team?

Holly Mathias ... will be heading to York University in the fall...
She quite clearly said she was going to Queen's.

“I’ve had a very strong work ethic and been a well-rounded student,”
Maybe I'm wrong on this one, but I pretty sure she didn't say this.

There are currently 14 students enrolled in Northumberland’s IB program...  
Nope

Northumberland Regional High School is the only school in the Chignecto region to offer the Pre-IB and IB programs...
It is also offered at CEC. 
 There were some smaller errors of fact and grammar but I think y'all get the picture by now. Anywho, this just really makes me wonder how accurate the other articles in The News are. After all, if this simple, short interview was full paraphrasings masquerading as quotes,  multiple errors in reporting the facts (ex: 14 IB students) and even some outright fabrication, how egregious are the errors in more important articles?

3 comments:

  1. The News - Journalism at its finest!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe The Talon should be the community paper...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well everyone would be better prepared for a raptor take over. Also we would use spellcheck.

      Delete