Time Until It's All Over:

Wednesday, January 4, 2012

A Tale of Schadenfreude

So today as I exited school through the English pod doors I scanned the snow covered campus attempting to locate my ride, and instead laid eyes upon Rick Conrad. As he approached me on the way to his bus, I intended to accost him about starting his EE, as is my habit to do when I see him. On this occasion, however, my speech was cut off mid-sentence as I gazed with be-wonderment a the white book  clutched in his gloved hand. I immediately recognized the tome without to so much as glance at the title  - after all, how could I  the trauma of suffering through the long-winded, biblically infused ranting of Martin Luther King Jr. ?

Confounded, I asked him: "Rick, what's with the book? I thought your class got to skip the essays."

"We were supposed to, but it appears the plans have changed." came his amicable reply.

Hearing this the beginnings of a mischievous grin "Are you also reading the Maya Angelou essays?"


"Yeah, but not until later in the year." he answered, not seeming to at all grasp the gravity of his situation.

At hearing this I could no longer hide the elation I found in his misfortune, and my grin broke into a full-blown smirk and I emitted a noise falling somewhere between a laugh and a cackle. "Have fun with that Rick - there's a really good one in there about Oprah." I said as I left, riding on a high of schadenfreude all the way home.

So far the most rewarding part of IB has been watching the grade 11's suffer through the same trials and tragedies knowing I'll never have to do it again.

No comments:

Post a Comment